Link 51 keep the drinks flowing.
Following a successful tendering process, Link 51 was chosen by the Bristol Port Company to design, manufacture and install wide aisle pallet racking at the 8452 sqm distribution centre.
The racking was to allow for a capacity of 8572 pallet locations, with height varying from 4 to 6 pallets at the maximum elevation of the pitched warehouse. As Matthew Clark’s lease on an existing South West distribution centre was due to expire, Link 51 had a little over a month in which to complete the full installation.
Matthew Clark are an award-winning premium drinks supplier who offer their customers an unrivalled range of 4,000 products including champagne, wine, spirits, beers and soft drinks. With a network of distribution centres across the country, Matthew Clark’s most recent South West facility is based at the Royal Portbury Dock, Bristol. The warehouse, operated on behalf of Matthew Clark by the Bristol Port Company, has made thorough use of a Link 51 pallet racking system, providing excellent accessibility to enable an efficient pick and pack operation.
- After detailed planning by the Link 51 project team, the racking installation commenced on 23 February 2011 and, as the warehouse was designed for bulk storage, 15 tons of steel spreader plates were included to support the structure on the specially hardened warehouse floor slab.
- To fully utilise the space of the floor area and to allow greater flexibility during pallet picking operations for Bristol Port’s three reach trucks, the racking system was based on 15 wide aisles, each 75 metres long with two transfer tunnels to facilitate operator movement.
- Each pallet location was configured as 1m wide by 1.2m deep, as opposed to the conventional 1.2m wide by 1m deep, thereby allowing for increased efficiency in vehicle loading and distribution.
- For protection purposes, the racking system included floor-mounted, high-visibility yellow tubular barriers, either side of each aisle entry point.
- The installation was complete by 18 March and ahead of schedule. Stock arrived at the distribution centre on 4 April and by the end of the month the warehouse was at capacity.
By using Link 51, the Bristol Port Company benefited from:
- UK-based in-house manufacturing capability
- Fully managed market-leading storage solutions
- Extensive knowledge and experience
- High-quality product range combining strength, durability and operational reliability
“The pressure was on during this installation and I am pleased to say that Link 51 excelled throughout all phases of the project and managed to complete ahead of schedule.
Given the time constraints, the fact that Link 51 manufacturers in the UK provides substantial benefits, including rapid access to spares as and when required. We would be very comfortable using Link 51 again for future pallet racking projects.”
Paul Osborne, Development Engineer
The Bristol Ports Company
For more information on any of the products specified for The Bristol Ports Company please call us on 0800 169 5151.