Since its formation over three decades ago, the Hayley Group plc has grown to become the UK’s fastest growing engineering inventory supplier. With more than 30 branches located throughout the UK, the Group provide the trade, OEM and aftermarket industries with an unrivalled service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
One of Hayley Group’s national accounts is CEMEX UK, the global building solutions company and leading supplier of cement, ready-mixed concrete and aggregates. CEMEX’s largest quarrying site, Dove Holes Quarry in rural Derbyshire, is one of the largest mineral resources in the country, covering an area of 220 hectares with consented reserves of 220 million tonnes of carboniferous limestone. At current rates of production (3-4 million tonnes per year) the quarry has an operating life of over 50 years.
With a large inventory of industrial components to maintain quarrying operations at the Dove Holes site, the Hayley Group required Link 51 to design and install a shelving and storage solution for the busy on-site engineers’ store.
Containing items ranging from bearings, fasteners and electric motors, to gearboxes, PPE, lubricants and adhesives, it is vital that engineers have fast access to spares on a regular basis and for those items used to be replaced routinely.
To effect this, and as part of the brief to Link 51, the shelving and storage system installed needed to accommodate Hayley’s barcode stock management system. A means of electronically identifying the use and replenishment of all items within the store’s inventory.
With space at a premium, Link 51 provided a solution to accommodate the smaller items within the store, as well as shelving for the engineers’ larger, irregular-shaped items. The full installation included:
- Twenty-two bays of STORMOR Euro shelving, each featuring a mix of drawer units and shelves incorporating open bays. The shelves are adjustable on shelf clips at 25mm increments and the bays have full height dividers and 50mm-high binfronts. Two of the bays include louvered panels in the rears for 300mm spigots. Within each bay, all frames and shelves are painted RAL7035 and finished in BioCote® anti-microbial coating, which is offered by Link 51 as standard and also helps to protect the shelving from mould and other fungal growth that can take hold in damp and dusty conditions.
- Two bays of Longspan shelving were installed to create versatile open storage to accommodate the larger electrical items, switchgear and other components required by the engineers. The shelving is also painted RAL7035 and finished in BioCote® anti-microbial coating.
By using Link 51, the Hayley Group benefited from:
- UK-based in-house manufacturing capability
- Fully managed market-leading storage solutions
- Extensive knowledge and experience
- High-quality product range combining strength, durability and operational reliability
“Our ongoing relationship with Link 51 is much due to their highly efficient manner as they continue to look after our operational requirements. The effectiveness of the engineers’ store, despite having a small storage footprint, is crucial to the day-to-day running of the CEMEX operation at Dove Holes. In tandem with our barcode stock management system, Link 51’s shelving and storage solution has proved immensely beneficial in this capacity.”
Mark Harrison, National Accounts Manager
The Hayley Group plc
For more information on any of the products specified for Hayley Group please call us on 0800 169 5151.