Established in 1865, Knights of Old is a major player in the UK logistics market, ranked in the top 50 companies in their sector. The award winning group, which employs 500 staff, specialise in distribution throughout the UK, Ireland and Northern Europe.
The group’s key business objective is to assist customers manage their daily logistics business by committing to the highest quality and service. Their product offering includes high quality distribution, supply chain management and value added services such as warehousing, contract packing and freight forwarding.
The Knights of Old head office is in Kettering, with branch offices in Northampton, Hitchin, Chichester, Colchester, Worthing and Dublin.
Knights of Old is one of the major shareholders in Partnerlink Ltd; a partnership of 17 privately owned logistics companies in UK & Ireland, with a revenue exceeding £300 million and employing over 3,000 people. Partnerlink delivers integrated solutions across the supply chain, which provide an extension to the Knights of Old’s activities.
Main sectors served are: Food, Retail, Automotive, Media, Electronics, Healthcare, Fashion.
Alongside a purpose-built 11,000 sqm warehousing facility at their Kettering site, Knights of Old were also using third party warehousing facilities at four different locations to accommodate their expanding logistical requirements.
Given the number of pallets stored at these locations and the issues created by multi-site third party warehousing, a decision was made to centralise stock in one location. Unable to use space at their Kettering site, a suitable 6,500 sqm facility was found in the local area, which could provide easy access and full management control of centralised product.
The new facility would operate a 24 hour/5 day week, providing full pallet and multiple pick services, short and long term storage, season specific operations including online order acceptance, pick-pack and dispatch as well as a bespoke warehouse management system.
With a requirement to provide as many pallet locations as possible and a minimum capacity of 3,500, the supply and installation of a narrow aisle racking solution for the new warehouse was put out to tender. With key deliverables being cost, design, installation timescale and flexibility, Link 51 ticked all the boxes and was awarded the contract.
- Allowing for a marshaling area at the front of the racking installation and space for a bulk storage area to one side, the Link 51 solution consists of: 6085 pallet locations in a narrow aisle racking configuration divided into 21 aisles. 16 bays in length, rising to 18 bays to one side of the marshaling area and complete with FLT transfer tunnel bays.
- Making full use of the roof pitch, the installation achieved four beams in height, creating an additional 800 pallet locations against previous competitor estimates.
- At the open side, alongside the bulk storage area, Link 51 fitted anti-collapse rack netting – lightweight, extremely strong blue nylon mesh – the mesh is attached to 6mm wire cables by snap hooks which allows nets to be removed for easy access.
By using Link 51, Knights of Old benefited from:
- UK-based in-house manufacturing capability
- Fully managed market-leading storage solutions
- Extensive project management expertise
- Substantial knowledge and experience
- High-quality product range combining strength, durability and operational reliability
“From the outset, I was impressed with Link 51’s understanding of our requirement and how they transferred that into a workable solution. We were on a very tight schedule and the installation team managed to complete the job with a week in-hand. Would I recommend Link 51and use them again….most certainly.”
Kelvin Gingell, Group Logistics Director – Knights of Old
For more information on any of the products specified for Knights of Old please call us on 0800 169 5151.