The MANN+HUMMEL Group was established in Ludwigsburg, in southwest Germany in 1941. With 41 locations all over the world and 14,500 employees, MANN+HUMMEL is one of the major corporations in automotive components. In 2010, the corporation achieved a total revenue of €2,180 million, increasing to €2,473 million in 2011.
The MANN-FILTER brand is marketed worldwide by MANN+HUMMEL, a leading development partner and OE supplier to the international automobile industry. MANN+HUMMEL products are manufactured to the highest quality standards. This applies to OE products, supplied to nearly every leading automobile manufacturer, and to filters distributed into the aftermarket under the MANN-FILTER brand name.
In the UK, the MANN-FILTER brand is marketed by the Aftermarket Division of MANN+HUMMEL (UK) LTD located at Featherstone near Wolverhampton in the West Midlands. Strong growth within the Aftermarket Division required larger warehousing capacity to maintain high customer service levels and offer the opportunity to introduce new working processes. A new 5,500 sq m distribution facility was set up only 500 metres from the existing site.
Following initial design discussions by Mann+Hummel’s logistics department both in Germany and the UK, the racking solution for the new site was put out to tender. Three companies were invited to respond and, following bid evaluation, Link 51 was selected as a preferred partner for the installation.
During the design and configuration of the racking solution, all parties had an opportunity to benchmark against the previous racking installation in Mann+Hummel’s nearby Featherstone site and adopt best practice principles. In doing so and from an operational perspective, the brief was adjusted to ensure that the racking solution reduced pallet congestion and bottlenecks in the warehouse, whilst increasing available storage capacity.
Link 51 installed a racking solution based on 20 racks, providing a total of 142 bays and 6,300 pallet locations. The bay size specifications were adjusted from 2.7m sector beams to 3.6m, to maximise storage capacity given the mix of europallets and standard pallets received by Mann+Hummel.
- Mann+Hummel’s future capacity requirements were also taken into account by increasing the number of 2m high pallet spaces within the installation.
- The racking scheme was designed with ‘in rack’ sprinklers and Link 51 provided backstop protection to those levels where loads may come into contact with the sprinkler service pipe and heads.
- In addition, Link 51 constructed a tiered shelving structure to provide a large number of ‘pick’ faces for smaller items. The structure was designed to accommodate an additional tier if required in the future.
- Link 51 also supplied personal lockers for the staff rooms and installed a secure cage inside the warehouse for high-value goods.
By using Link 51, Mann+Hummel benefited from:
- UK-based in-house manufacturing capability
- Fully managed market-leading storage solutions
- Extensive project management expertise
- Substantial knowledge and experience
- High-quality product range combining strength, durability and operational reliability
“The racking installation went according to plan and was delivered on schedule. Link 51 worked well with other suppliers and there were no delays from the confirmation of the order through to completion. We are very satisfied with both the product and the high levels of service.”
Alan Ingram, Project Manager
Mann+Hummel (UK) Ltd
For more information on any of the products specified for Mann + Hummel please call us on 0800 169 5151.