National Windscreens has the largest UK fitting centre network in it’s field, operating 114 fitting centres and employing over 800 mobile technicians. National Windscreens are the only independent company amongst the 3 major players within the UK’s automotive glass industry.
The company is already the largest independent glass repair and replacement specialist in the UK and is growing fast in its current position as the second largest overall in this sector. The company’s continued expansion is evidence of its intention of being the clear market leader in the UK automotive glazing sector.
National Windscreens Bristol is a founding member of National Windscreens and has 35 branches across a region stretching from the South to the Midlands. The business employs a team of 380 people and a fleet of 280 fitting vehicles providing a 24/7 service, 365 days a year to retail, insurance and fleet clients.
Continued expansion and the existing warehouse operating at maximum capacity at National Windscreens Bristol, resulted in the bulk storage of windscreens being confined to an external area on site, with a large tarpaulin covering the windscreens from the elements. This arrangement was unsuitable, creating stock control problems, hampering logistical efficiencies and resulted in windscreen breakages to unacceptable levels.
To bring stock into a controlled warehouse environment, the main distribution centre was extended to provide a 22,000 sq ft bulk storage facility. As the windscreens of varying sizes were stored in crates, a racking solution was required. Three companies were invited to tender and Link 51 were successful in securing the contract.
- The racking solution had to accommodate a mix of crates for cars and commercial crates for HGVs and other larger vehicles. Due to the size of the crates, sufficient space was also required for forklift access and crate retrieval; the warehouse operates 4 reach and 2 counterbalance trucks
- Link 51 installed a total of 5 aisles of racking to a height of 8.5m at various depths ranging from 800 mm to 1450 mm. Operating at 85-90% capacity on a week-by-week basis, the racking is sufficient for: 312 car crate locations 128 commercial crate locations
- Open boarded timber decking was fitted to all beam levels to create a shelf which allowed flexibility to store the wide range of crate sizes.
By using Link 51, National Windscreens benefited from:
- UK-based in-house manufacturing capability
- Fully managed market-leading storage solutions
- Extensive project management expertise
- Substantial knowledge and experience
- High-quality product range combining strength, durability and operational reliability
“Link 51 provided a fresh approach to our requirement which worked really well. Rather than provide an off the shelf racking system, they looked in detail at what we were trying to achieve and worked with us to find an appropriate solution. “As a return on investment, since the warehouse expansion and installation
of new racking, our breakage rate has halved and is now below the accepted industry norm.”
Paul Skinner, Regional Distribution Manager
For more information on any of the products specified for National Windscreens please call us on 0800 169 5151.