Park’s Motor Group is a large company based in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire in central Scotland. It is one of the most well-known and recognisable brands in Scotland. The company is wholly owned by Douglas Park who founded the business in 1971 as a coach and bus operation with three vehicles. The company moved into the motor trade in 1977, with a single new andused car dealership in Hamilton, selling Datsun cars.
The new and used car business has continued to expand and Park’s Motor Group now has 28 dealerships across central Scotland with franchises for a number of manufacturers ranging from Kia to BMW. Six petrol forecourts and a vehicle repair business complete the line-up.
Douglas Park BMW/Mini has rapidly established themselves as the largest BMW dealer group in Scotland with authorised BMW dealerships in Glasgow, Hamilton and Hillington.
Park’s Motor Group recently opened a brand-new Douglas Park BMW/Mini Aftersales Centre in central Glasgow. As well as boasting a 24-bay workshop and extensive customer service facilities, this state-of-the-art super-site provides all aftersales work, as well as housing the main trade and retail spare parts hub for the franchise.
With three deliveries of stock into the hub per day from the DMDC (Dealer Metro Distribution Centre) in Bellshill and a requirement to hold over 1,000 lines of fast-moving parts, including secondary stock, such as wheels and tyres, Park’s Motor Group tasked Link 51 to provide a suitable storage solution for the hub.
With a long-established, proven track record of supplying storage systems for automotive dealers, Link 51’s proposal was based on the installation of a mezzanine, providing 190m2 of additional floor space.
- The mezzanine’s construction provided a storage area on its first floor for heavier items, such as wheels and tyres. A total of 32 Longspan shelving bays were installed on the mezzanine for this purpose, with all bays featuring open braced frames and open backs to accommodate the wheels and tyres. Out of the 32 bays, 5 bays were decked with 18mm chipboard for other heavy-duty uses.
- On the ground floor, 63 bays of Euro Shelving were installed for small fast-moving parts. The bays, on which ‘bins’ were placed containing the various lines of BMW and Mini spare parts, feature external solid steel frames or mesh-clad rears.
- An additional 32 Longspan shelving bays were also installed on the ground floor for the storage of wheels and tyres, with the exception of 5 bays that were decked with 18mm chipboard for other heavy-duty uses.
By using Link 51, Park’s Motor Group benefited from:
- UK-based in-house manufacturing capability
- Fully managed market-leading storage solutions
- Extensive project management expertise
- Substantial knowledge and experience
- High-quality product range combining strength, durability and operational reliability
“The installation of this storage solution was first class throughout. Link 51 anticipated our requirements accurately and, following a few tweaks to the design and layout, we are very happy with the end result.”
“The storage solution has increased the overall efficiency of the spare parts hub at the After sales Centre, promoting quick access to fast-moving lines, whilst improving the stock management process overall.”
John Waddell, Parts Manager – Douglas Park BMW/Mini Glasgow
For more information on any of the products specified for Park Motor Group please call us on 0800 169 5151.